May 6th 2010

On Monday I went to see my specialist to find out what the next step should be in my treatment.  We thought we would be able to make a decision that day, instead we walked out having made one decision but leaving us with more decisions to come in the near future.

On top of that more decisions had to be made only 24 hours later in regards to my husbands job.  Those were made easily, as we were able to put the information together and make a decision based on all the information we had and we were not left with more decisions to make later.

Yet we are now left with more decisions to make for me.  For those of you who read regularly you know, as I posted on April 21st, that I went to see my specialist in part to discuss putting in a VNS.  My specialist spent an hour with my husband and I talking about every option we have, and answering every question we had, which is why we love her so much.  We also know she spends some of her time loving well as she recently returned from Haiti after a missions trip and has two children she adopted from Haiti.

The options we were given were looking at having a second surgery, put in the VNS, continue medication therapy only, or do nothing.  I cannot realistically go on more medication then I am already on, and doing nothing is not an option either.  So therefore that leaves us with the VNS or a second surgery.  I asked her what she would do if it was her, and her response to me, in short, was that she would do what would give her the most likely chance to be seizure free, a second surgery.

For several reasons, including the fact that we do not have all the information we need to make an informed decision, I am going to have in patient video EEG monitoring.  This is the first step to determining if I am again a surgical candidate.  If I am a surgical candidate that would be the solution most likely to give me the best result.  We cannot make a fully informed decision until we know if the seizures are still coming from an area that can be surgically removed, and what the effects of removing that area would be.  Once we know that we can then decide what to do.  If I am not a surgical candidate I will have a VNS.

I do know this, though I do not relish the idea of having a second surgery, I do know that if we decide that is what we must do, God will once again answer every promise He has made to me.  I do not doubt He will be my strength shelter comfort peace and my ever present help.  I know He will become for me what I cannot be for myself because He has done it more then once already.


  1. I’ve been praying for you through this tough time of decision making. This is one of those times it’s really hard to be a long-distance friend. I wish I could do more.

    Comment by Lisa — May 6, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

  2. Prayer Lisa, is the most powerful thing we can do as believers. To be at the Lord’s feet petitioning on behalf of another believer is the most powerful words we can speak, the most difference we can make for them. What more can I ask of you? If you are doing that for me then I am thankful to count you as a friend.

    Comment by race_12_1 — May 6, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

  3. Watching what Hetty went through & coming out the other side is spectacular. Seizure free since her surgery! I know I’m quite possibly comparing apples to oranges since your seizure focal points may be different. But, the hope that is there is palpable. The brain is such an unknown in so many ways. It holds so much mystery. I know you will make the correct choice. Your faith in God is so very grounded. You have a new support group out here in the internet, too! Lots of prayerful women (and a few men). God is in for a shout out from all over!

    Comment by Shellie (baylormum) — May 8, 2010 @ 9:31 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.